Sunday, November 24, 2013

Why I love yoga.


I love yoga. I've been a dedicated yogini for quite a while now. I've noticed that when I declare my obsession to new people, I often see a little bit of confusion on their faces. Why yoga, they ask. Why?  Here's a list (you'll discover that I work best in lists!):

1. Yoga gives me a sense of calm.
I don't lead a calm life, and I am not a calm woman, normally. I churn with stress and anxiety, and I am busier than I'd like to be. Doing yoga gives me a moment to slow down and breathe deep. Plus, deep breathing helps with the anxiety. Win win! 

2. Yoga is a great workout. 
One of the styles of yoga that I practice regularly is Ashtanga, which is very physically demanding. The first led primary series that I attended left me so sore that I couldn't lift my arms for four days! There are plenty of different types of yoga that are excellent for strength and weight loss, by use of quick flowing movements (cardio!) and body weight. 

3. Yoga is awakening my spiritual side. 
I have always considered myself to be a non-religious, non-spiritual person. I gave up seeking when I was a teenager. However, if you become serious about your yoga, it's impossible to ignore the spiritual teachings that it stems from. Classes often close with saying "namaste", which loosely means "the light in me recognizes the light in you, and when we are both in that place of light, we are one." That is deeply spiritual to me. The more yoga I do, the more I feel connected to the world around me, and the more awestruck and grateful I feel. My life had been missing this type of reverence, and I feel better having it. 

4. Yoga makes me feel cool. 
Is this a good reason for doing something? Whatever. I feel like an interesting human being because I do yoga regularly. It's different and a great topic of conversation or ice breaker. 

5. Yoga helped with my pregnancy and birth.
Heck, yoga even helped get me pregnant. I struggled with infertility, which is initially what brought me to try yoga. Once I got pregnant, I began a prenatal practice that kept me centered, grounded, and focused on what was happening with my body. The breathing exercises helped me deal with my crazy overlapping contractions. Post partum, yoga has, at times, been the only thing that made me feel like a functional human being. 

6. Yoga is giving me goals.
Both short term and long term. I want to achieve certain postures. Long term, I plan on taking a teacher training and becoming an instructor. 

7. Yoga appeals to the language need in me. 
The language of yoga is Sanskrit, which is awesome to hear. I have always loved languages, so it's no surprise that I greatly enjoy hearing the Sanskrit words. Ashtanga yoga is counted out in Sanskrit, and it never ceases to make me feel like I am doing something special. 

8. Yoga has brought me a new community. 
Both online and in person, I have met some incredible people through yoga. I love chit chatting with strangers in class, and I love the online yogi communities on tumblr and Instagram. 

No comments:

Post a Comment